Sunday, October 23, 2005

Entry #2

Sunday, October 23rd, 2005

The apartment is exactly as advertised. The yellow and terra cotta colors of the walls make me feel warm and comfortable immediately. The two outdoor spaces are inviting and I see myself in the coming days enjoying breakfast on the balcony and reading in the sun on the rooftop terrace. Therese and Jim had left welcome presents of wine and snacks for me in the apartment. I am very touched by their hospitality.

Tired but unable to sleep, I unpack until nearly 3am. Then I hear the typical sounds of a Mexican town: barking dogs, screeching brakes and rumbling engines as cars and trucks go up and down the hill outside my windows. As dawn approaches one other sound pierces my sleep: churchbells from various parts of town. The firecrackers will come later.

No comments: